How to import and export form data
The data entered in a form can be saved without saving the form fields and can be used repeatedly to fill other forms. This can be very useful for filling out forms more quickly by automatically entering a common data set for a large number of forms.
The process includes exporting completed form data that will be saved into specific file types and importing those files to complete empty forms. The valid file types are FDF, XFDF, XML, and TXT, which can be managed with many PDF editors. They store not only the form data but also the information on the quantity and types of controls that the form has.
To export form data from a single open and full form:
– Choose Forms> Data> Import or export data> Export form data.
– In the ‘Export form data as dialog box’, specify the name and file type.
– Click on ‘Save’. Your data will be stored in the location and with the file type defined.
To import form data into a single form
– Open an empty form
– Choose Forms> Data> Import or export data> Import form data.
– In ‘the Select the file containing the form’s data dialog’, select the file type (FDF, XFDF, XML, TXT) and search for the file that contains the data you want to import in the open form.
– Click on ‘Open’. As long as the selected file contains descriptions and form control data suitable for the current form, the data will be inserted into the corresponding fields.
Data export of various forms
The data can be exported from several forms with the same groups of data fields to the XML and CSV file types (values separated by commas). To know it better, you can see what’s offered by Magento order export extension. These types of files can be opened through Excel or similar spreadsheet programs; each form is represented by a row and each field of the form by a column. The labels of the fields in the forms are transformed into the text of the header row for the columns of the spreadsheet. All types of form fields, except signature fields, can be processed. This export is available, even if no PDF file has been loaded; not all open files are included.
To export data from various forms:
– Choose Forms> Data> Import or export data> Export data from various forms.
– Click on ‘Add’ and select the files you want from a folder.
– Click ‘Add multiple times’ to add files from other folders.
– Use ‘Add and Remove’ until the list of files is ready.
– Check the option Include the most recent list of files from which data was exported to add all the forms of the last export session to the list.
– Click ‘Export’ and then specify the output folder, the name and the type of the file (CSV or XML).
– Click ‘View file now’ if you want to see the results in the spreadsheet program.
– Change the name to the column header texts as desired (required for checkbox or radio buttons fields).
– Use ‘Save As’ and choose an appropriate file type (eg, Excel spreadsheet). If it does not, the file will remain in CSV or XML format.
For an efficient export, all forms must have the same group of field names. Multi-page forms can be processed. A PDF file is recommended per form, but a single PDF with a set of grouped forms is also acceptable, provided that the groups of fields in the form are identical. If there are field differences between the forms, all the names of fields that are not equal generate columns in the output table. All fields in the resulting table have a generic cell type that accepts any entry; use your spreadsheet program to configure other cell types (eg, just numbers, currency or date).