How to prevent hackers from attacking your system
Long gone are the days when you had to be strong and dangerous to hurt people. In today’s time, you can significantly damage people if you’re a hacker.
Ever heard the saying, ‘pen is mightier than the sword’? Well, it is true in today’s era due to the advent of the internet.
If someone has good coding knowledge and hacking skills, it equips them with great power. And sadly, many people with such knowledge often abuse it. While there are ethical hackers who use their knowledge and skills only to help the world, there are some hackers who use their skills only to rob people and you must protect yourself against such hackers.
The number of hacking incidents is on the rise and if you are not protected already then you need to make a move today.
Here are a few ways you can protect yourself against hackers.
- You have to research the various internal and external vulnerabilities hackers exploits. You cannot really safeguard yourself unless you know of what you are fighting against.
- Hackers cannot enter your computers unless you allow them to. They use different tricks to do so, but if you are being careful then all their tricks will fail.
- Some of the most common ways to hack into a password are by guessing passwords and security questions and by infecting a computer with the help of a virus.
- You can protect yourself against both these ways, first by thinking of a password that is hard to guess. A simple solution is to come up with long passwords that include a mix of alphabets (capital and small), numbers and symbols. For example, instead of a simple password like ‘newyorkcity’, you can change it to ‘NewY0rkC!ty’.
- This is important because many people keep passwords that are easy to guess, which is just an open invitation for hackers to attack their systems.
- In many cases, the hacker is someone close to you, i.e: someone who already knows you, which is why you need to stay away from passwords that are typical, such as your pet name or your spouse’s birthday. Instead, pick random passwords.
- If you cannot come up with a password on your own, you may use online password generators as well. Moreover, make sure to keep changing your password every few months.
- Lastly, do not keep one universal password. Doing so puts not just one but all your accounts at risk. If someone is able to crack one password, they will be able to crack other passwords as well, which is why you need to be careful.
- Other than this, be smart when using the internet and avoid opening untrusted links and downloading files you do not trust. You can use an antivirus to first scan links, especially if they come from unreliable sources.
- Moreover, do not click on links or files you receive from people you do not know. Phishing is a common technique where you receive links that appear to be real but are just scam pages to get your details.
- In addition to this, make sure to use a reliable antivirus program that protects your system against all kind of attacks. Moreover, update it on a timely basis so that you are protected against the latest threats as well. A good option is to turn on the automatic update feature so that the program is updated automatically without you having to worry about it.
While these tips will provide you with an added layer of security, you can never completely remove the risk. This is why it is recommended that you use reliable backup appliance solutions to backup data so that you do not have to face any major blows even if your system is hacked and your data is lost.