How to record video calls on Skype
In general, the Skype call recording feature should more than suffice if you just want to casually record your calls.
Do you want to record one of your Skype video calls so that you can save it and refer to it later? Maybe you want to save precious memories from a call with a close friend or family member, or maybe you want to keep a record of an important business meeting?
The good news is that there are several ways that you can record video calls on Skype, so all that you need to know is what your options are and how to use them.
Using Skype’s Call Recording Feature
Undoubtedly the most convenient way to record calls is to use Skype’s call recording feature. It was introduced not long ago in Skype version 8 and made it possible to record any video calls within Skype itself.
If you want to record a call using the feature you should start the call, then:
- Click on the ‘+’ icon for more options.
- Click ‘Start recording’.
- Exit the call when it is done.
- View the recorded call on Skype that will be posted to your chat and available for 30 days.
- Click the ‘More options’ icon.
- Select ‘Save to “Downloads”’ or ‘Save As’ if you want to select a different folder.
While convenient, there are some small limitations to this method. For starters, it can only be used for Skype-to-Skype calls, and you need to be using Skype version 8 or later.
On top of that, you won’t have direct control over the recording parameters or encoding options.
Use Screen Recording
Instead of using Skype’s call recording feature, another way that you can record video calls is by using screen recording software. If you’re on a Mac you could even use the built-in screen capture tool on macOS Mojave and later.
Essentially if you use this method you just need to set up your screen recorder to record the area of the call, or the Skype window. Additionally, it should record both the incoming audio (i.e. the system audio) and outgoing audio (i.e. the audio from your microphone).
The main appeal of this option is that it will give you more control over the recording parameters – though it does depend on the software that you use. In most cases, you should be able to choose to record a specific part of your video call and adjust the frame rate of the recording.
Nowadays screen recorders have become easier to use, so using one as a Skype recorder for Mac or PC shouldn’t be difficult. For example, you can try Movavi Screen Recorder for Mac if you need one with lots of options.
At the end of the day, it is up to you to decide which option you’d prefer. In general, the Skype call recording feature should more than suffice if you just want to casually record your calls. However, if you want more control over the recording itself – a screen recorder is definitely going to provide you with that.
- Skype has a new feature that blurs the background so no one can see your messy room
- If you still use Skype for calls, this new Amazon Alexa integration is for you
- Spice up your Twitch stream or Skype call with Snap Camera for desktop
- After backlash, Microsoft backpedals and Skype Classic remains, for now
- After 15 long years, Skype is finally adding a call recording feature to its platform