Previously invite only, Amazon now lets anyone buy an Echo
If you were one of the people who drooled for an Amazon Echo but didn’t have an invite, you can get your hands on one now.
If you’re not familiar with Echo, it’s essentially an audio system, search engine, and personal assistant all wrapped up in a black cylinder. All you have to is ask Alexa – the name Amazon coined their AI system – a question from anywhere in the room within 30-feet, and Alexa will respond with the information you requested. It’s pretty neat.
Here’s what Greg Hart, Amazon Echo’s Vice President had to say in a recent press release regarding Amazon Echo’s public launch:
“The customer response to Amazon Echo has been incredibly positive, and we’ve been working hard to build more as quickly as possible. We are grateful to our early customers for their incredible engagement and for providing us with invaluable feedback to help shape Echo as it evolves—with their help, we’ve been able to add features like Audible, Pandora, home automation, sports scores, calendar, and more,” said Hart. “We’re excited to get Echo into the hands of even more customers and continue to invent new features and experiences.”
For a quick overview, here’s some of Echo’s top features:
- Information, music, audiobooks, news, weather, traffic, sports, and more–instantly
- Controlled by your voice for hands-free convenience
- Far-field voice recognition hears you from across the room
- Connected to the cloud so it’s always getting smarter
- 360º omni-directional audio to fill the room with immersive sound
- Compatible with Belkin WeMo and Philips Hue connected devices to control lights and switches with your voice
- Plays music from Amazon Music, Prime Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more
Starting today, you can pre-order Amazon Echo for $179, which will ship out July 14. What are you waiting for?