Automation testing interview questions
By referring to this guide, you can gain familiarity with the significant inquiries that may arise during an automation testing interview.
As the saying goes, “To err is human, to forgive is divine.” But the truth is that we all make mistakes, which is an inevitable part of being human.
Software development is no exception. Irrespective of how careful coders are while typing codes, somehow or other bugs are introduced to the system.
Nevertheless, this surely can’t be an excuse when introducing customers to new software. It’s imperative to incorporate a process between software development and release only to ensure robust and high-quality software.
Thus, the software testing process will enable you to find all the bugs and errors within the software.
But how to qualify and elevate your career as an automation test engineer?
Automation Testing Certification will help you learn all the in-demand skills within the industry. You can apply these skills to software development processes and build quality products.
Also, if you look forward to elevating and upskilling your software tester career, you’re in the right place.
This article will discuss some important questions an interviewer might ask you. Please keep reading until the end of the article to know more.
Let’s get started.
Interview questions for automation testing
Here, we have listed a few interview questions for automation testing so that you can land your dream job.
What is automation testing?
Automation testing is a typical task of software testing that uses automation tools for executing test cases. The primary goal of automation testing is to reduce the number of manual test cases and not eliminate them.
When is the ideal time for automating a test?
Automation testing is mostly preferred in the following cases:
- Regression testing
- Repetitive tasks
- Test with multiple data sets
- Smoke and sanity tests, etc.
Please note that automation testing is not recommended for one-off test cases. However, automating test cases is usually based on the ROI.
So, the greater number of times the automated test is executed, the better ROI it gets.
When should you not automate testing?
- You should note consider automating during the following cases:
- Single-time test cases
- The application under test experiences frequent changes
- Exploratory testing
- Adhoc-random testing
- Test cases that demand detailed setup before every execution
- Usability tests that require manual intervention to check test results
- Unplanned test cases
- Test cases that return unpredicted test results, etc.
What are the most common types of automation testing?
There are numerous techniques for testing, but you can automate not all of them. Here, we have listed some testing techniques that you can readily automate:
- Performance tests
- UI tests
- Integration tests
- Regression tests
- Unit tests, etc.
What are the distinctive parts of a test automation framework?
Thus, a test automation framework makes things relatively easy to perform automation testing for software. However, some of the major components of a test automation framework include:
- Testing Libraries
- GUI or Command-Line Interface
- Test Data Management
What are the main steps of the automation process?
The primary steps of the automation process include the following:
- Selecting the test tool
- Determining the scope of automation
- Planning, designing, and developing
- Executing the test
- Maintenance, etc.
When is it not possible to use automation testing for the Agile method?
Automation testing won’t be beneficial for Agile methods during the following conditions:
- An exhaustive level of documentation is required in Agile
- The user stories are continuously changing
However, automation testing is only suitable for regression tests during Agile testing, such as continuous integration.
What are the techniques for selecting a good automation tool?
While there are many automation tools, it becomes quite overwhelming to pick out the best. Some of the best ways to select a good automation tool are:
- Check whether it supports a comprehensive test environment
- It offers a magnificent debugging facility
- Easy to use
- Supports common programming languages for creating test scripts
- Allows recording and playback
- Robust object identification
- Enables database testing
- Capable of image testing
- Pocket-friendly cost and budget
- It supports tutorials, documentation, training, etc.
- Excellent reporting system
- Supports multiple automation frameworks, etc.
What are some of the best practices during automation testing?
Some of the best practices for automation testing are:
- You must identify the reusable methods and note them down in a separate file
- Consider adding appropriate comments to explain a specific part of the coding
- Storing test data within a separate file
- You need to follow the language-specific coding conventions
- Consider running your scripts regularly, etc.
What is the technique for speeding up an auto test suite?
Applications or software that demand UI testing can slow the testing process while interacting with multiple elements.
Therefore, it is always better to create a simple test script that provides aid in speeding up the test execution.
Which frameworks are used for software automation testing?
The four major types of frameworks used for software automation testing are:
- Keyword-driven automation framework
- Data-driven automation framework
- Hybrid automation framework
- Modular automation framework
Is the career path of software testers worthwhile?
With every passing day, more and more businesses are coming into inception. Moreover, these uprising companies are becoming highly reliable in software.
Therefore, to keep their companies moving and functional, they must ensure that their software works fine. To do that, they need the assistance of software testers to fix failed software releases and remove bugs.
However, a study reveals that the demand for software testers is expected to experience a continuous growth of 25%. And this exceptional growth in this career field is expected within the next ten years.
Therefore, if you are willing to make a career transition into software testing, you should go for it.
Software testing plays a pivotal role in software development. Furthermore, it not only ensures quality but also provides confidence to the developers to release the software.
However, automation testing is also software testing, where the tests are generally automated with scripts, tools, and frameworks.
In a nutshell, automation testing improves the speed and efficiency of software testing.
And now that you are familiar with the important questions you might ask in an automation testing interview, start preparing yourself. Till then, happy learning!
- Automation represents the future of business tech
- 6 tools for business: Process automation in 2023
- The importance of keeping employees up to speed on RPA
- Business process automation and how it is driving enterprise efficiency
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. KnowTechie’s opinions, reviews, and other editorial content remain objective and are not influenced by the sponsorship.