Connect with us


1 in 4 bosses say they’ve fired someone for messing up during a Zoom call

And most have given some sort of disciplinary action as the result of a call.

Zoom call with zoom logo
Image: KnowTechie

There are a lot of benefits to employees when it comes to working from home, but it’s important to not get too complacent. A new study shows that one in four executives have reportedly fired an employee over a mistake that happened during a Zoom call.

According to a new study conducted by Wakefield Research and released by Vyopta, Zoom calls have a bit of a reputation for getting employees in trouble.

Not only have 24% of executives reportedly seen someone fired after a blunder during a virtual meeting, but an overwhelming majority (83%) have also seen an employee receive some sort of disciplinary action as a result of a Zoom call mishap.

The study surveyed 200 different executives from companies with more than 500 employees. In addition to disciplinary actions, the study discovered a couple of other interesting things about remote work.

READ MORE: New Zoom avatars replace your face with animals during meetings

Most executives said they trust only about two-thirds of their remote workers to perform their jobs effectively. And it was a bit of a toss-up deciding whose responsibility it is to make sure remote working technology like Zoom is working correctly. 58% say that responsibility falls on the company while the other 42% say employees are responsible for maintaining their own end of the tech.

For businesses, it is important to maintain a sense of professionalism, even during these strange times. 32% of executives say they’ve lost clients as a result of technology mishaps, and 41% have missed deadlines as a result.

Despite the concern from executives over remote workers, the concept isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. 97% of executives surveyed say that hybrid working options aren’t going anywhere and three out of four say their remote workforce will continue to grow over the next 12 months.

Have any thoughts on this? Let us know down below in the comments or carry the discussion over to our Twitter or Facebook.

Editors’ Recommendations:

Follow us on Flipboard, Google News, or Apple News

Staff writer at KnowTechie. Alex has two years of experience covering all things technology, from video games to electric cars. He's a gamer at heart, with a passion for first-person shooters and expansive RPGs. Shoot him an email at

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Tech