Apple is bringing Touch ID back to the 2021 iPhone range
Face ID will still be present, as well.
The source of all things Apple-related, Ming-Chi Kuo of TF Securities, has some interesting predictions for the 2021 Apple iPhone range. The biggest of these is that Touch ID will return to the iPhone, via an in-screen fingerprint reader.
The return of Touch ID doesn’t mean that Face ID is going away, rather that Kuo believes the two will work in tandem to provide superior security.
In-screen Touch ID might be turning up on the 2021 iPhones
Currently, Apple is having difficulties with the in-display fingerprint tech. Power consumption, the thickness of the sensing units, the small surface area of those units, and production issues with yield are all being worked on, with Kuo feeling that Apple will put its finger on all the issues in the next 18 months.
That’s in time for the 2021 iPhones, in case you were checking the calendar:
- It’s likely to be a version of Qualcomm‘s ultrasonic fingerprint-under-display system
- Recent patent filings seem to back this up, with suggestions of Touch ID returning to the iPhone
- Kuo also feels that the Apple Watch would have a home for an under-screen fingerprint sensor, without making any claims of Apple actually working on this
Sounds to me like the 2021 iPhone is the one you want, not the ones from this year or next. Maybe the 2021 models will have a more sensible looking camera module as well…
- Google is going green with its ‘Made by Google’ devices
- The Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 brings back the bezel control, with a twist
- Here’s how to watch the Samsung Unpacked event on August 7
- Cloudflare is no longer sheltering 8chan behind its firewalls