DoorDash is straight up ripping off its drivers’ tips
Nothing surprises me anymore.
Disruptive influence on the market or just same shit, different pile – you decide. Turns out that that market leader in food delivery, DoorDash, is just as scummy as the existing restaurant owners. That’s because whenever you tip your DoorDash delivery person, instead of that extra being a bonus for good service, it’s going to supplant DoorDash’s bottom line.
The only way to avoid this happening? Tip your delivery people with cash.
Turns out the gig-economy is just as bad as the one it tried to replace
DoorDash pays a guaranteed minimum for every delivery – just how that minimum is made up depends on you, the ordering customer. If the price is guaranteed at $6.85, and the customer tips $3, you’d be forgiven for thinking the total paid out would be $9.85. It’s not, the delivery person still only gets $6.85, so the tip that made you feel good is only going to DoorDash to line its own pockets.
- DoorDash is copying the long-standing “tipped wage” model for the restaurant industry
- Instacart had a similar policy, but scrapped it after outcry from its workers and industry advocates
If you really want to make sure that your delivery person gets their tip, pay them in cash when they come to your door.
What do you think? Surprised by the news or does nothing surprise you anymore when it comes to business? Let us know down below in the comments or carry the discussion over to our Twitter or Facebook.
- The Orlando Police is ditching Amazon’s facial recognition tech because it kept fucking up
- Turns out, social media and not video games is why teens are depressed
- Facebook and Google know exactly what porn you watch – even if you use incognito mode
- President Trump says Google should be investigated because they’re a ‘treasonous company’