Tech innovations helping to improve healthcare and quality of life
Continuous healthcare technological developments improve our quality of life and help save countless lives. They also spruce up the efficiency of doctors when it comes to giving diagnoses and caring for their patients. Of course, with some of these innovations coming under the form of devices, gadgets, and appliances that people can use on their own, life expectancy and quality notice a major improvement as the need to take a trip to the doctor’s office is reduced among individuals.
Trackers and biosensors monitoring health at home
One of the common issues we are confronted with is that we tend to go to the doctor’s office in need of help when it’s too late. However, this has changed for a while now, at least in health-conscious individuals, as the appearance of biosensors and trackers that monitor certain health aspects has made them aware of potentially threatening situations.
- Heart rate monitors: Modern monitors can be worn around the chest as they come in the form of a band, or on the wrist. Their precision is not yet as reliable as that provided by medical or scientific measurement devices, but they still provide a clear overview regarding the state of your heart’s health. Based on the readings provided by the monitoring device, you can acknowledge the need to pay a visit to the doctor’s office before the situation gets out of hand, thus helping in the prevention of strokes and other serious heart health-related issues.
- Activity trackers: These devices do more than just show you how many calories you’ve burned in a day or how many steps you took during that stroll in the park, the information gathered being of great help to doctors as they get an in-depth look at the lifestyle their patients lead, thus more easily figuring out what changes need to be made.
- Incorporated sensors: There are even sensors that can be incorporated into accessories, clothing, and devices that people use on a daily basis, sensors that keep track of health parameters in a convenient manner. In addition to being used by individuals who want to be aware of shifts in their heart rates or other health aspects, they are recommended by doctors and professionals in order to monitor the health of their patients over a certain time span and while performing specific activities.
Creating a truly sterile environment
One of the major issues that existed in the past in hospitals was that the environment wasn’t sterile, bacteria and germs lingering in the air and interfering with the quality of the recovery process in some patients while causing rapid health deterioration in other individuals. This was a troubling issue at home as well, polluted indoor air causing many people to fall victim to respiratory diseases while causing unpleasant symptoms for those who suffer from asthma and allergies. However, now there are plenty of devices and appliances that upkeep a sterile environment both at home and at the hospital or doctor’s office, helping boost health care quality as a whole.
- Ozone generating devices: As its purpose is to remove potent contaminants in the air by turning it into ozone, the ozone generator is used to decontaminate surgery rooms as it can create an actual sterile space that is free of germs and bacteria so that the patient’s life is not threatened by any invisible attackers. As long as the ozone output doesn’t exceed dangerous levels, you can even use it at home to ensure clean air to breathe indoors.
- Moisture-reducing devices: Mold and mildew threaten all buildings where dampness is an issue, including hospitals, places that are supposed to be free of air pollution. Dehumidifiers are the solution to keep moisture levels in check, now these devices even starting their operation automatically when healthy levels of dampness are surpassed to ensure a healthy environment. What’s great about the market for moisture reducing devices is that there are numerous types and brands to pick from, so you can have one in your own home to prevent inhaling mold spores and alter your health by doing so.
Virtual reality and its many benefits
Virtual reality, or VR, is commonly known amongst gamers as it delivers a completely immersive experience when they play games. However, virtual reality has done much more than that as it has indeed helped shape healthcare like nothing we have seen up to this point. Here are a few of the perks provided by the use of VR technology in hospitals:
- Reduces anxiety attacks: In most patients, children especially, anxiety can settle in fast and become quite dangerous when they are hospitalized. As childish as it might seem, letting patients play with the VR device while certain procedures are performed makes a huge difference as it distracts the individual through its immersive design. Thus, it allows the doctor to perform his duty without fearing that anxiety will become crippling and the patient might react violently to the procedure performed.
- Training medical students: What students in this domain lack are experience, and while actual real experience can only be gained as time passes and they become doctors themselves, treating patients, there is a solution for them to practice in the meanwhile – by performing operations and any procedures they need to using virtual reality.
- Motor function regaining: VR is commonly used in helping stroke victims regain motor function by “tricking” the brain through visual input. As the patient uses VR, he or she starts identifying with the avatar, noticeable changes in behavior appearing based on the actions performed by the virtual counterpart.
Digitalization of health records
In the old days, paper records were used everywhere to keep track of patient’s health issues, performed procedures, medical analysis results, and so on. This system is still used in a lot of places today, but it will be a memory of the past in a few years as Electronic Health Records are gaining territory at a fast pace. With paper records, there is a lot of time lost to find a certain patient. Not to say that there are horrid situations where records are misplaced or lost completely. How EHR serves is that it provides a digitalization of these records, meaning that nurses and technicians directly input important patient data into a central system. This makes it a lot easier to update records with diagnostics, submit medical claims, and more.
Tech innovations are not simply limited to making the life of the modern man easier, but they sometimes aid improve health quality and life expectancy as these innovations revolutionize healthcare. Medical professionals get to more easily and accurately diagnose patients, they are able to provide with better care, and people can create a quality environment for themselves, as well as monitor health stats without the help of professionals.
Editors Note: Mohammad Shoaib is a freelance writer who offers blogging, ghostwriting and copy-writing services. He works closely with businesses providing digital marketing solution that increases brand awareness and search engine visibility.