Connect with us

Apps

Cirqle’s latest feature allows you to connect and share via Bluetooth connection

Cirqle adds a new tool to it’s arsenal by allowing you to connect and share photos via Bluetooth. We caught up with their CEO and he answered some questions for us.

Cirqle photo sharing app - see more at KnowTechie.com

Cirqle, a photo sharing app that’s been around for nearly a year recently announced the launch of their Cirqle 2.0 launch. Sure, you’re probably thinking “oh great, another 2.0,” but this latest update will truly set Cirqle apart from all the other photo sharing apps.

For a quick refresher on Cirqle, check out earlier story here.

With Cirqle’s latest version, you’ll now be able to connect with other devices without an internet connection, by plugging in directly into your Bluetooth connection.

Here’s How it Works

The way Cirqle works is that you post pictures and moments to “cirqles.” Your cirqles can literally be anything. Certain places, people, occasions, whatever you want to share with others. You can invite people to join your cirqles and see your feed, and others can join in on the fun, as well. You can set other people up to be “co-curators” meaning that they can add photos and videos to your Circle. With Offline Mode, curators are able to connect to each other via Bluetooth to continue posting to a cirqle… on Cirqle. Not only will others be able to see your updates via Bluetooth (because honestly, that number would be pretty small in most instances), but once one of the collaborators are able to get a signal, Cirqle will curate any of the posts made over Bluetooth, regardless if your device was the first to gain service or not.

An Interview with Alex Bystrov, CEO of Cirqle

With Cirqle 2.0 releasing Tuesday, we thought it would be a good idea to contact Alex Bystrov, CEO of Cirqle, to see what he has to say about his app, Cirqle, their mission, and to clarify the differences between his photo sharing app and Instagram.

KnowTechie: What is the general mission of your iOS app?

Alex: We’re going to make history. The one that is the sum of our common memories. We live in a unique time when everything’s being documented, but we still don’t have proper structure to explore, exchange and learn. 90% of visual content from our phones never goes online, remaining 10% is still a mess with broken connections. We’re in the sea without a boat and a compass. We gonna build both for people to seek for truth, learn themselves, see from different angles and remember. The way that people take photos and videos with their mobile devices at present is mostly random — we want to give them the tools to take and share them in a way that says something.

KnowTechie: How are pictures curated?

Alex: We replaced conventional hashtags with so-called Cirqles. Cirqles are albums, communities, shared experiences and stories. There are three types of them: open, curated and private. Open cirqles are almost like hashtags: anyone can post or subscribe to them, but the curator can moderate them. In curated Cirqles only invited members can contribute. In private Cirqles, content is invisible for everyone except its members.

KnowTechie: What makes you different from Instagram?

Alex: Cirqle and Instagram are fundamentally different in a way storytelling and subscribing work. Instagram’s core is a single photo from a single person. Cirqle’s core is a continuous story told by one or several people sharing the same interest or experience. In Instagram you follow other people, and see their photos one at a time. There’s no story, there’s no flow — there’s simply whatever photo or video they’ve posted. Their memories have no context. There’s no place for collaboration except hashtags – which you can’t manage, control or subscribe to. Cirqle’s designed differently from the very beginning. You have control over your feed, you can subscribe to people or specific stories.

Furthermore, we’re focused on making your stories leave Cirqle. We’re not a social network – the Cirqle app is a social way to keep stories in one place, but we want people to share to other networks or even embed in blogs. For example, an iPhone 6 review could include a feed of different pictures – pictures of the phone itself, pictures taken of the phone, or even pictures of the UI itself.

The same could be said of reporters covering an event — they could easily (and in realtime) snap photos of an event as it happens, and that will automatically stream into an embedded Cirqle.

Advertisement

More in Apps