Uber is finally giving you an option to tell your driver to shut the hell up
Honestly, they should have done this ages ago.
Uber is finally doing something good. They are now giving users the option to tell their driver to STFU in a new setting called “Quiet preferred.” Meaning anytime you want a ride and don’t want to listen to a driver’s backstory on their life – you can set this option to prevent them from ever talking to you. Finally.
The bad news is that this feature isn’t available for every Uber service. The company is rolling it out today exclusively to Uber Black or Uber Black SUV rides. That’s a bummer, but hey, I guess you get what you pay for.
If in the event you do prefer to chat with your driver, there’s a “happy to chat” setting you can enable if that’s your cup of tea. On top of the chatting preference, Uber is also adding a few convenient options like desired temperature settings as well as requesting help for your luggage. That’s about it.
Obviously, the biggest takeaway here is not having to talk with your driver. Seriously, this is a big move. I’ve been in pointless conversations in Ubers for a while now, and it’s probably one of the most annoying things about the service. Maybe it’s just me – I don’t know. But seeing the company roll this out for its luxury service tells me I can’t be the only person who thinks this.
- Lyft and Uber are pumping the brakes on accepting new drivers in NYC
- Google paying original Pixel owners up to $500 because they got crappy phones
- 18 more cities will receive Uber’s Ride Pass program
- Uber drivers are gaming the app to stick riders with cancellation fees
- Amazon will pay its employees $10K if they quit their jobs and become delivery drivers