Some bozo’s stupid battery pack forced a flight to perform an emergency landing
No, it wasn’t Kevin. He was home at the time.
There were fireworks of another kind late on Thursday night when a Virgin Atlantic flight had to make an emergency landing at Boston’s Logan Airport. The cause? Someone’s battery bank burned up, filling the cabin with smoke.
Massachusetts State Police’s Explosive Ordinance Disposal unit did the initial sweep of the plane, as the site of the burning showed wires. On closer inspection, they found “a battery pack consistent in appearance with an external phone charger” between the cushions of the seats. As it’s an ongoing investigation, that’s all the details released to date.
There’s a good reason the FAA bans battery packs over a certain capacity
The lithium-ion batteries that power most of our modern portable devices are fickle things. They can’t handle overcharging, needing additional circuitry inside to shut off current to the cells once full. They’re also prone to manufacturing defects, like the one that caused Samsung such grief with the Note 7.
The FAA and airlines all have strict control over the capacity of the cells allowed onboard, to prevent events like this turning into disasters.
- Heat or cold are also damaging to lithium cells, the fact this battery was found between the seat cushions might point to that as the point of failure
- Cheap battery packs are also more dangerous, often with fake certification marks
Boston had an earlier plane make an emergency landing, with a much less spectacular issue. A cockpit light suggested a mechanical failure on an American Airlines flight from Chicago, thankfully it touched down without issue.
- Apple is reportedly ditching the problematic butterfly keyboard switches on its MacBooks
- The hacker who crippled gaming services is being sentenced to 27 months in the slammer
- Canon is launching an Indiegogo campaign for a tiny camera that no one will want
- Dumb startup has canceled dumb plan to have a baby born in space