IFA 2019 is coming – here’s what to expect
It’s only the biggest consumer tech show in Europe, after all.
The Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin (IFA) is 95 this year. Almost 2000 exhibitors will descend on the Messe Berlin to showcase the best in consumer tech at IFA 2019. Last year was filled with surprises, so what will this year have to offer?
IFA opens to media outlets on the 5th of September, before opening to the public on the 6th and running until Wednesday the 11th. Showfloor opening times are from 10am to 6pm daily.
This year is the 95th anniversary of IFA, Europe’s largest consumer tech show
With 1814 exhibitors in a massive (think 23 soccer fields put together) amount of floor space, you can expect everything from 8K TVs to autonomous cars to the best new things on Kickstarter. Here’s a selection of what to expect:
- Braun: It’s been 28 years since the company had a Hi-Fi offering. 2019 will debut a reimagining of its LE range of speakers from 1959
- LG: Expect more crazy TVs, a triple-screen, foldable smartphone (maybe this one will work), and since LG makes just about everything, expect that and more
- Harman: Expect a ton of smart speakers from both the JBL and Harman Kardon brands
- Panasonic: Last IFA was Panasonic’s 100th anniversary celebrations. Will we see much this year? I expect more 4K TVs on show, and maybe some Lumix goodness
- Philips: Expect more TVs with integrated soundbars from the collaboration between Philips and B&W
- Samsung: With the phone releases out of the way, Samsung can focus on its dominance of the OLED TV market. Expect more 8K TVs, and maybe even higher resolutions?
- Sonos: With two press conferences, Sonos is gearing up for its “biggest event of the year.” Who knows that that means other than expect good sounding smart speakers
- Sony: The usual high-security around Sony‘s releases continues. Last year the WH-1000XM3 headphones were released, so maybe some new active noise cancelling headphones will turn up at IFA. It’s also 40 years since the Walkman first came out, so maybe a digital version to commemorate the event?
- TCL: Expect lots of audio and TV goodness from the Chinese giant
Expect more in the days to come, and a whole lot of smart devices, mobile phones, wearables, and anything else you can think of.
- Hinge launches a brand campaign that literally kills its mascot for love
- The biggest announcements from Samsung’s Galaxy Unpacked event
- Review: RHA MA650 Wireless Earbuds – solid earbuds for the price
- Ooblets devs get harassed by diaper-wearing “Gamers” after Epic Games Store announcement