Snap Originals are 5-minute episodes of original programming coming to Snapchat
The new shows can be found on the Discover tab of the app.
Snap Originals have arrived on Snapchat. Featuring scripted and unscripted content, the shows are available on the Discover page on the app. Although Snapchat has invested in original programs before, this is the first time the service has offered scripted, serialized shows.
The shows are described as a mix of “docuseries” that span a variety of genres. All are aimed at Snapchat’s most loyal demo, young viewers. New episodes are added weekly.
The first three Snap Originals are:
- Endless Summer: A reality show following two influencers in Laguna Beach, California.
- Class of Lies: A scripted drama series about two true crime podcasters whose friend goes missing.
- Co-Ed: A scripted show about two college freshman roommates.
More Snap Originals on the way
Snapchat plans on introduction three more shows before the end of October. Six other series have been approved but don’t yet have an air date.
Each episode is around five minutes in length with series running between eight and 12 episodes. Non-skippable commercials of up to six seconds in length are included with each episode.
Snap Originals include Show Portals, which let you swipe up and step inside a scene. Additionally, each series offers Lenses, Filters, and other ways to experience the show.
It hasn’t been a good year for Snapchat, which has seen its viewership numbers fall after numerous redesigns failed to catch on. Whether Snapchat Originals are the answer remains to be seen. A better solution might have been for Snap to spend its resources to make the Snapchat experience fun again. We’ll see.
Do you plan on checking out Snap Originals? Let us know below.
- Move out of the way Snapchat, people apparently love Facebook Stories
- ‘Snapchat dysmorphia’ is a thing that exists now because the human species is doomed
- Facebook pinky swears hackers didn’t use your login to access third-party apps