For some reason, Dish is charging $80 for its AirTV streaming stick
The streaming media market is already stuffed with services, so why not add more choices in the hardware that they can be watched on? The AirTV Mini is a purpose-built streaming stick primarily for use with Dish’s Sling TV service.
The kicker? It’s $80 when other streaming sticks on the market are in the $50 (or lower) range.
The AirTV Mini is an $80 streaming stick that does 4K
This AirTV Mini is joining the existing hardware stack that Dish has to serve its Sling TV service. It’s closer to a cable box than your normal streaming stick, as it only works with a limited subset of streaming services.
- Sling TV is the main service on this streaming stick, which can also play Netflix or over-the-air (OTA) TV
- Google Assistant is the voice assistant of choice on the Android-based streaming stick
It needs an OTA antenna and an AirTV Wi-Fi enabled network tuner as well to show OTA TV, making this a pretty expensive setup. Sling TV has a deal currently where paying for three months of Sling TV up-front gets you the network tuner and OTA antenna for free.
I’m not really sure why anyone would buy this over a Fire TV Stick or a Chromecast, it’s more expensive and only works with Sling TV and a couple of other services. Maybe you hate Alexa, but then just buy a Chromecast since Amazon Prime Video is finally back on those.
What do you think? Interested in this AirTV device from Dish? Let us know down below in the comments or carry the discussion over to our Twitter or Facebook.
- Pablo Escobar’s brother might sue Elon Musk for ripping off his flamethrower idea
- Google’s Shoelace will probably get caught in the social media escalator
- One year later, the repeal of net neutrality is already f*cking us over
- Tweets that dehumanize religious groups will now be removed by Twitter