Nintendo just won a bunch of awards – here’s the list of the DICE 2018 winners
Nintendo scores big.
Nintendo had a big night as they took home numerous awards, including the game of the year, at last night’s Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences’ DICE 2018 Awards.
Like expected, Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the big winner by gaining game of the year, outstanding achievement in game direction, and outstanding achievement in game design. Nintendo’s veteran executive and designer Genyo Takeda was awarded a lifetime achievement award for his diverse and significant contributions in gaming. Each award is voted on by a board of members of the AIAS, and most of them are game developers and designers themselves.
Other winners include Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, which won action game of the year and outstanding achievement in online gameplay. Microsoft’s Cuphead nabbed awards for animation, art direction, and original music. Sony’s Horizon Zero Dawn ran away with achievements in story and technicality.
Want to see the full list? Here it is.
- Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Immersive Reality Technical Achievement: Lone Echo/Echo Arena
- Immersive Reality Game of the Year: Lone Echo/Echo Arena
- Mobile Game of the Year: Fire Emblem Heroes
- Handheld Game of the Year: Metroid: Samus Returns
- D.I.C.E. Sprite Award: Snipperclips
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 18
- Role-Playing Game of the Year: Nier: Automata
- Racing Game of the Year: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Fighting Game of the Year: Injustice 2
- Family Game of the Year: Snipperclips
- Adventure Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Action Game of the Year: Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds
- Outstanding Technical Achievement: Horizon Zero Dawn
- Outstanding Achievement in Story: Horizon Zero Dawn
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Super Mario Odyssey
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Cuphead
- Outstanding Achievement in Character: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice – Senua
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Cuphead
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation: Cuphead
I didn’t see the award’s show live, but I was happy to read that Nintendo’s Super Mario Odyssey and Sony’s Horizon Zero Dawn receiving recognition. Where there any of your favorite games that were left out? Any games that got duped? Let us know!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.