Red Dead Redemption 2 is crushing game and entertainment records
Did the horse testicles make all of the difference?
Rockstar Games has announced that Red Dead Redemption 2 had the largest opening weekend of any game ever released. This wasn’t the only milestone for the game that was just released last week.
In just three days of release, Red Dead Redemption 2 generated over $725 million in worldwide sales. At the same time, it became the most preordered full game ever on the PlayStation Network. It also had the biggest day one full game sales on the PlayStation Network.
Additionally, the cowboy epic has already become Rockstar Games’ second-highest grossing entertainment launch. No. 1 remains Grand Theft Auto V.
Accolades for Red Dead Redemption 2 include:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.
More about Rockstar’s hit western
Red Dead Redemption 2 follows Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang as they rob, steal, and fight their way across America to survive. After a botched robbery that breaks up the team and makes them flee from an area called Blackwater, the gang retreats and settles their wagons and horses outside of the town of Valentine.
Bounty hunters and lawmen are out to get you, but as Arthur completes missions, he begins to realize things and choices aren’t as black and white as he might have previously thought. How will Arthur adapt to this changing world?
This game has gotten terrific reviews, so I can’t say that I’m surprised by these early numbers. With the holiday season fast approaching, I would expect the game will continue to do well through the rest of the year.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is now available for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
Have you played Red Dead Redemption 2? What do you think?
- Code in Red Dead Redemption 2’s companion app could point to a PC release
- 5 games you should absolutely be playing in October
- The new iPad Pro might be as powerful as an Xbox One S, but gamers won’t care