Sonos will no longer push updates to some of its older products
Some of these ARE pretty old.
Sonos will no longer be updating some of its legacy products after May of this year. The connected speaker company cites the “lack of memory and processing power” on these older products, some of which were introduced over a decade ago.
The part that might annoy users is that if they have those legacy products networked to newer ones, the newer models won’t get software updates either.
Sonos is phasing out updates for some legacy products in May 2020
Sonos is no longer going to update the software of some of its older devices, which is fine really. I mean, some are 15 years old today which is a really long time for any manufacturer to support devices with software updates. The annoying part for some owners is that if they also have newer Sonos devices, none will get any software updates until the legacy products are removed from service. Dang.
- The affected models are: Sonos Bridge, Connect, Connect:Amp, CR200, Play:5 (Gen1), ZP80, ZP90, ZP100, and ZP120
- If you want to replace them, Sonos is offering a 30 percent discount of newer gear for affected owners
READ MORE: Sonos is reportedly releasing its own voice assistant
We’re not going to tell you what to do here, as your older Sonus speakers likely still work well. The only thing you lose without new software updates is the possibility of losing access to music service or voice partners in the future when they roll out their own updates. Maybe just wait it out to see what happens?
What do you think? Surprised by the news or did you see this coming? Let us know down below in the comments or carry the discussion over to our Twitter or Facebook.
- For some reason, Royole wrapped its flexible screen tech around this smart speaker
- Review: Soundboks – 35lbs of kick-ass Bluetooth speaker
- This contact lens startup might just be the future of AR
- 10 crowdfunding campaigns to watch in January 2020
Just a heads up, if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the sale. Click here for more.