How to add alt text to images on Twitter
Alt text is a great way to improve accessibility for all users.
When you post an image on Twitter, you may want to add alt text before you hit tweet. Why? Because adding a description allows screen readers to explain the image to someone who’s visually impaired.
On top of that, search engines use this information to categorize content and provide more accurate results. Also, if an image can’t load for whatever reason, alt text provides a description of what you’re meant to see.
In truth, adding a bit of descriptive text isn’t a time-consuming task. Let’s discuss how to add alt text to images on Twitter.
How to add alt text to images on Twitter on mobile
- Tap the Plus (+) button to create a new tweet and select Photos
- Select the image you want to use
- Tap the +Alt button on the image. Alternatively, tap the More (three dots) button to access the editor and select the Alt icon on the bottom menu bar
- Enter your alt text and tap Done
- Hit Tweet to post the image
And there you go, you’ve now added alt text to Twitter images using the app.
How to add alt text to Twitter images on desktop
If you prefer to use Twitter from your computer, you can still add alt text to images. Here’s how:
Click the Media icon on the new tweet menu bar and add an image
Click either the Edit button or the image itself
Select the Alt tab
Enter your alt text in the Description box and click Save
Click the Alt button to check your text and hit Tweet to post
Great reasons to add alt text to Twitter images
Adding alt text is a great way to assist visually impaired Twitterers, search engines, and people with poor internet connections that can’t load pictures.
If you’re a considerate tweeter, you should consider adding alt text to all of your images.
If, however, you prefer to tweet in an inconsiderate manner—and we know there’s a lot of you—adding totally inaccurate descriptions to every picture you post is a great way to sow confusion.
- How to set up 2FA on Twitter
- Here’s how to add a cryptocurrency address with Twitter Tips
- How to create a Twitter List
- Here’s how to see what Twitter Lists you’re on