Want to play with cats as a magical girl in charge of a cat cafe? Calico’s got you covered
It’s a cat game so you have to like it.
According to its website, “Whitehorn Digital is a low-stress indie game publisher focusing on approachable, digestible, wholesome games.” That’s the tag for Whitehorn Digital, the publisher handling the upcoming title, Calico, which recently funded on Kickstarter.
A friend of mine is one of the developers, but I hadn’t yet seen her work, so I was delighted to find out Calico was at the PAX West Indie Minibooth. I got hands-on with it and here are some highlights:
- You play as a magical girl in charge of a cat cafe
- There are cats. There are SO MANY CATS. There is just a joyful abundance of cats
- There is also a red panda!!!
- You can pick up and carry the red panda
- You can forget about everything you’re supposed to be doing right now so you can spend time with this adorable red panda, fulfilling a lifelong dream of playing with a red panda, even though this is a digital red panda and not a living, breathing furry creature. It’s nothing and trips to Australia to do this for real are actually really expensive and—
- You can get distracted writing bullet point lists about this game, thinking about red pandas
- You can play with cats with toys like laser pointers and string
- You can make and sell pastries in a zero-stress environment
- There’s no fighting
- You can use magic to make any cat gigantic and thus rideable
- You can explore the cozy, open world to your heart’s content with no time or conflict pressure
I think there are going to be people who will look at Calico and think, “but what am I supposed to do here? What’s my goal?” and that’s fine, but more importantly there will be people who’ll find Calico’s low-stress, wholesome, inclusive environment to be a breath of fresh air.
All you have to do is give Samsung your email. That's it. No commitment necessary. No-brainer!
Calico is coming in Summer 2020 to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows, and Mac.
- Acron: Attack of the Squirrel is a great, local multiplayer VR title – PAX West 2019
- GungHo is dropping a handful of games, including Puzzle & Dragons for the Switch – PAX West 2019
- Young Souls is a game that mixes urban fantasy and Saturday morning cartoons beautifully well
- A Fold Apart is a puzzle game about long distance relationships and it’s based on a true story