Google Search will index podcasts and even let you play them from search
How are podcast creators going to feel about this?
At its 2019 I/O developer conference, Google announced a bunch of new improvements to its most-known tool, Search. Speaking earlier today, CEO Sundar Pichai revealed some news for podcast fans, as Google will start indexing podcasts.
Podcasts will get indexed by Google now, so search results will also surface relevant episodes based on content, not just the titles. Sounds like Google’s language processing AI is going to get a workout with that one.
Google search is now going to index Podcasts and even let you play them inside search. You hear that @marcmaron? #GoogleIO2019 #io19 pic.twitter.com/ESJCz2VDOm
— Lance Ulanoff (@LanceUlanoff) May 7, 2019
Search will also let users listen to the podcast episodes straight from the search results, without having to click through to the site. I hope Google Analytics will still register those listens. Other podcast features include the ability to save episodes for later listening, again, all straight from the search results.
The announcements were kinda skimmed through, without details on how the new changes will affect podcasters or when it actually goes into effect. I guess we’ll find out, maybe even on a Google podcast. In any event, we’re sure to find out soon once all this I/O news dies down.
Have any thoughts on this? Do you find these features useful? Let us know down below in the comments or carry the discussion over to our Twitter or Facebook.
- Google Lens will soon scan a bill and calculate the tip for you because math is hard
- Google’s AI assistant, Duplex, is heading to the web to help with car bookings and movie tickets
- Google is trying to introduce shopping links in YouTube videos
- What the fresh hell is Apple thinking with this Warren Buffett Paperboy clone app
- Facebook Dating’s Secret Crush feature is the beginning of the end