How to easily change your Facebook name in 5 simple steps
5 steps, and a whole new identity!
Before the days of Facebook, it used to be that your username was permanent and there was no way to change it. For friends who have just gotten married, or divorced, they would have to make an entirely new account. Thankfully, changing your name on Facebook now is easy, but there are some restrictions that the company has put in place on what can be used and seen.
If you want to change your name, do the following:
- Go to settings
- Go to general account settings > name and then click edit
- Enter what you want for your first name, an optional middle name, and the last name.
- Click review change
- Facebook will ask how you want your name to appear. Choose what you’d like.
- Make your final selection, enter your Facebook password, and finally click save changes.
Your name change should take effect as soon as you save. However, there are times where it doesn’t go through immediately. If your name does not meet the requirements, then it will not be changed, and Facebook will prompt you. Here are the restrictions:
Your name can’t include the following:
- Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation
- Characters from multiple languages
- Titles of any kind (example: professional, religious)
- Words or phrases in place of a name
- Offensive or suggestive words of any kind
Other tips to keep in mind:
- The name on your profile should be the name that your friends call you in everyday life. This name should also appear on an ID or document from our ID list.
- Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they’re a variation of your authentic name (like Bob instead of Robert).
- You can also list another name on your account (example: maiden name, nickname, professional name).
- Profiles are for individual use only. You can create a Page for a business, organization or idea.
- Pretending to be anything or anyone isn’t allowed.
There are a lot of guidelines to follow, but as long as your name is correct and you are who you say you are, then there is no reason to worry. The process overall is straightforward and only takes a couple of minutes to complete.
Have you ever had to change your name on a social media platform? What is the story behind it?