iPhone Lightning cables that can hack your computer are being mass produced and sold
No one tell Jared about this.
You’ve probably all heard the “If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck” simplification of abductive reasoning by now. Usually, this method holds true, but not today. This iPhone Lightning cable looks like an official cable, works like an official cable, and plugs into your Lightning cable-equipped devices and PC like an official cable, but it’s not an official cable.
What’s more, the O.MG Cable is hiding a nasty surprise for the unsuspecting user in the form of a way for a hacker to take control of your computer. Yikes.
This iPhone Lightning cable comes with a nasty surprise
Created by security researcher, MG, the O.MG Cable can take over any PC that it’s plugged into. The attacker can then do whatever they want on the target machine, including exporting data with the onboard WiFi connection in the cable. The first batch was painstakingly made by hand, in MG’s kitchen, from official iPhone Lightning cables.
The next batches will be made in partnership with Hak5, and made from scratch to be sold as legitimate security tools.
It works like this:
- The $200 O.MG Cable sets up a WiFi hotspot when plugged into a USB port for power
- Connecting to that hotspot lets the hacker use your computer as if they’re typing on your own keyboard
- Any of the onboard payloads, or attacks, can be used, or even remotely “kill” the implant so it isn’t workable anymore
- If set up as a client to a nearby WiFi network, the implant can be controlled from anywhere
I guess this is the iPhone version of the Trojan Horse? Beware geeks bearing gifts.
What do you think? Surprised that a Lightning cable can be used to take over your computer? Let us know down below in the comments or carry the discussion over to our Twitter or Facebook.
- Words with Friends just suffered a major data breach
- YouTube TV officially lands on Amazon Fire TV devices
- Review: OTTO from Banana Bros – this grinder uses math to give you the best-stuffed joints
- This self-driving garbage can does all the dirty work for you on trash days