Samsung Galaxy Ring announced; Oura responds to new competition
Oura says “New players entering the space is validation for the category.”
As usual, the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked event was stuffed with several exciting announcements, including the stars of the event – the Galaxy S24 series and Galaxy AI.
The company also announced various other services and features. However, the event’s biggest surprise was the Galaxy Ring.
The surprise Galaxy Ring announcement
Samsung spent the final phase of the show discussing Samsung Health. The company is bringing groundbreaking improvements to health tracking with the implementation of the Galaxy AI.
However, before the speaker finished his talk and the event came to an eventual end, Samsung announced the Galaxy Ring.
Based on the presentation, Samsung isn’t going out of its way to make the ring look different.
It’s a traditional-looking smart ring with a shiny chrome-like exterior, and all the expected sensors will be available inside.
However, the design of the smart ring is pretty much all we got. It probably was a last-minute addition to the presentation as Samsung didn’t provide any details about the device’s capability, the price, or when it will launch.
Oura responds to Samsung’s announcement
Besides Samsung’s Galaxy Ring announcement, the second exciting event of the day would be Oura’s response to its new competitor. Oura has been a pioneer in the smart ring space.
Wasting almost no time, Oura CEO Tom Hale provided the following statement to Android Central via email.
Since our founding over a decade ago, we’ve invested relentlessly in [the] service of creating the best smart [ring] that gives [everybody] a voice. Our members span from Gen Z to Boomers, from pro athletes to those seeking to improve their sleep and health, from women tracking their cycles to those who want to better manage their stress.
With new features released regularly, Oura has the strongest IP portfolio—in both hardware and software—for the smart ring form factor, with 100 granted patents, 270 pending patent applications, and 130+ registered trademarks. New players entering the space is validation for the category and drives us to aim higher to serve our members and community.
The statement clearly indicates that Oura isn’t even worried a bit about a big name like Samsung throwing its hat in the game.
That said, Samsung will also have its hands full as a newcomer into the smart ring space.
Save up to $750 on the new Samsung Galaxy S24 Series with pre-order, qualifying trade-in, and double the storage. Also, get up to a $150 Best Buy e-Gift Card.
- Significant Savings: The pre-order deal provides a substantial discount of up to $870, making it a cost-effective time to upgrade.
- Bonus Perks: The addition of a $150 Best Buy e-Gift card adds extra value to your purchase.
- Increased Storage: Double the storage space means more room for apps, photos, and videos without worrying about running out of space.
- Limited-Time Offer: This is a one-day-only offer, making it imperative for potential buyers to act fast to avail these benefits.
- Apple smart ring is real, according to a patent filing
- Rabbit R1 puts a tiny AI assistant in your pocket for $199
- Humane launches wearable $699 AI Pin to replace your smartphone
- I did my holiday lighting with smart lights, and it was glorious