Speech Services by Google keeps downloading – Everything you need to know
If you’re frustrated with this annoying message on the notification bar, the solutions we discussed here are both simple and effective.
Many Android users have faced this weird problem with a notification saying “Downloading English UK update.” It wouldn’t be a huge issue if the downloading process was finished at all.
But this annoying notification just remains there without any progress. It neither downloads anything nor stops. You are probably reading this article to get rid of this.
As the notification suggests, it tries to download an English UK speech recognition file. When you say something to Google Assistant, it understands your speech by following the instruction of rules provided by the developers.
You can also opt for services related to certified translations that help your system or device understand different languages, be it Arabic, French or Portuguese.
The English UK file means that the file Google speech service uses to recognize your speech. In this short guide, I will show you how to stop downloading the English UK update file without causing any harm to the phone.
Is it a network problem?
The notification keeps saying that the downloading couldn’t be started due to network unavailability. But if you try to browse anything else, you will realize your network connection is totally fine. Therefore, it is not a problem in your network or your phone.
But if you see you can’t access anything on the internet, that would indicate your network is the one causing trouble. Reconnecting to the network will continue downloading English UK files and once it is finished, it will disappear.
Turning off the auto-update
The file that your phone is currently trying to download is the updated version of English UK speech recognition. But due to some error, it can’t progress the downloading.
You can stop the auto-update option for this file so that it doesn’t start downloading files without your consent. Some users may see the notification as “downloading English US update on android”.
But it doesn’t matter which language version is on the downloading process, the solution is the same for all.
Here are the steps to solve this:
- Open Settings on your android device.
- Scroll to the options to find ‘Google’. Click on the Google option. This will redirect you to Google settings.
- Now, choose the ‘Settings for Google Apps option.
- You will see an option for “Search, Assistant, and voice”. Click on it. On the next page, select the “voice” option.
- From the next page, you will find the offline speech recognition option. This is what we were talking about. Tap on it.
- Now, at your right side of the screen, you will finally see the Auto-update option. You may need to scroll horizontally to find this depending on your phone. Click on the auto-update option.
- Now, select the Do not auto-update option and restart your phone. That should fix the problem now.
Fixing the Glitch in the Speech Services by Google.
A glitch in the Speech Services by Google app can be another reason behind this problem. If the first method didn’t work for you, then you should try this one.
The solution is very simple. You have to uninstall and then reinstall the Speech services by Google. This will remove any glitches in the Google Speech services.
- First, go to Settings on your phone and then to apps/applications.
- Find the app named Speech Services by Google from the app list. Click on it.
- Now you will see the option to force stop the app. Click on it.
- Speech Services by Google is a system app on some phones. In that case, there won’t be any uninstalled option. Click on the Disable button if the uninstall option is not available.
This should remove the notification from the notification bar of your phone. Running the phone without the Google Speech Service will not be any major problem.
But still, if you want to make it function properly again then make sure you’ve followed the first method we discussed here. Then restart your phone. Go to the Play Store search for Speech services by Google and click on the Enable button.
If you see any new update available for this on the play store, you should update it as well.
Why do we need Speech Service by Google?
The main purpose of this app is to allow us to use the text-to-speech or speech-to-text features on our phones.
By using the google speech service, you can write texts on messaging apps, notes, search engines, or anywhere else by saying the word yourself.
Google’s speech recognition system will hear what you say and will write down the exact thing.
So, you don’t have to always face those tiny keyboards in your phone to type a message to anyone. Just click on the mic icon on the keyboard to use this speech-to-text feature.
You can also make your phone speak the texts shown on your phone. It is called the text-to-speech feature. These cool jobs are all managed by the Speech Service by Google.
It is understandable if you become frustrated by facing this annoying message on the notification bar. But the solutions we discussed here are both simple and effective.
After reading this article, we hope now you know what this Downloading English UK is, why you need it and how to solve the network error problem.