Spotify Free users can now stream on Alexa, Bose, and Sonos smart speakers – Here’s how to set it up
Is this an answer to Amazon’s recent pushes in the music space?
By connecting whichever speaker you own to Spotify, users can ask it to play their current favorite playlist, curated daily mixes, and more. Free users also have access to all the personalized playlists the company touts, like the new Your Daily Podcasts feature.
This announcement comes only a day after Amazon said they were giving non-Prime subscribers access to Amazon Music that led to a drop in Spotify stock. This new update looks like a jab back at Amazon and a way to make the Free tier more appealing for those who are interested in trying it out.
Spotify Free users can now stream on Amazon Alexa, Sonos, and Bose speakers
If you want to use the new feature on either an Amazon Alexa-equipped device or one of the other listed speakers, we’ll show you how below.
This can also work on the Amazon Fire TV, which is pretty cool.
- Download Alexa App onto your phone
- Open the app and get connected to your device
- Once connected, tap the Settings tab
- Tap on Music
- Touch Link New Service
- Then tap on the Spotify button and put in your username and password
Sonos and Bose
Unlike Alexa enabled devices, Sonos and Bose speakers will use the Spotify Connect feature. Spotify does recommend to update the firmware on your speakers.
- Before connecting, make sure the speaker and phone are on the same Wi-Fi network
- Once connected, go into the Devices menu
- From there, select which Sonos or Bose device you own and connect
- Start listening to your favorite band
- Tech Hangover: We’re all getting hacked
- If you own a Ring doorbell, police can keep your footage forever and share it with whoever they want
- Uber has been found at fault for a fatal self-driving car crash – but there’s more to it
- You can now add podcasts to your favorite playlists in Spotify