The best streaming services (2023)
Subscribing to a ton of streaming services can get extremely expensive, so choose wisely.
KnowTechie is supported by its audience, so if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the sale
In today’s digital entertainment world, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of streaming services available for you to choose from.
With all the available options, it’s hard to know what the best streaming services are.
And, to be fair, there’s no way to actually rank each streaming service. They each bring their own unique shows, movies, and features to the table.
But what we can do is outline a few of the best options that you can try out so you’ll have unlimited entertainment. So that’s what we’ll do.
Before you commit any more time to this monster of an article, here are the streaming services we’ll cover in this post.
Find the streaming services that are best for you
As you likely know, all streaming services are not created equal. Some have thousands of shows and movies but only a few hits here and there.
Others don’t have a massive library, but their content is usually a hit.
It’s best to do a little research to find which streaming service(s) are best for you. It also doesn’t hurt to take advantage of free trials when you can.
If you’re looking for specific shows or movies, JustWatch is a great resource that can let you know which shows and movies are on which platform.
But these platforms are always adding new content and removing things when licensing deals end.
So we’ll highlight some of the best parts of the best streaming services available.
Not too long ago, Netflix was the pioneer of streaming services and sat comfortably ahead of everyone else. But competition continues to grow in the streaming space.
That being said, Netflix is still one of the best streaming services available without question.
The platform continues to produce hit originals like Stranger Things, The Crown, Squid Game, and more.
And Netflix’s prices are pretty standard compared to similar services.
You can get it for $6.99 with ads, $15.49 with 720p HD, or $19.99 for 4K Ultra HD.
|Netflix Plan Features||Basic with ads||Standard||Premium|
|Watch on TV, computer, mobile, and tablet||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Netflix is the OG when it comes to streaming services. With its vast library of TV shows, movies, and original content, a user-friendly interface, and the ability to download content for offline viewing, Netflix remains a powerhouse in the streaming industry.
- Massive library of TV shows, movies, and original content, with something for every viewer
- High-quality streaming with support for 4K and HDR content
- Increasing competition from other services has led to some content being pulled from Netflix
- Some popular titles are only available for a limited time before being removed from the service
fuboTV is a different sort of streaming platform when compared to Netflix.
Instead of only on-demand titles, fuboTV mimics a cable TV subscription, giving you access to over 100 channels and 100+ sporting events.
Get access to tons of cable channels like MTV, ESPN, Discovery, Fox Sports, and many more.
Like old-school cable, you can add even more channels with the Elite and Premier packages.
fuboTV starts at $74.99 per month and increases in price as you add new channels.
Plus, you get 1,000 hours of cloud DVR so you can record anything from the available channels.
|FuboTV Plan Features||Pro||Elite||Premier|
|Sporting events||100+||130+ in 4K||130+ in 4K|
|fubo Extra||Not included||49 more channels||49 more channels|
|Cloud DVR storage||1000 hours||1000 hours||1000 hours|
|Simultaneous screens||10 at home||10 at home||10 at home|
Fubo is a live TV streaming service that offers a variety of sports, news, and entertainment channels for cord-cutters. With its focus on sports, Fubo is a great option for sports fans who want to watch games and events live without a traditional cable subscription.
- Wide variety of sports channels, including international and niche sports
- Easy to use interface with a customizable guide and cloud DVR
- Relatively expensive compared to other streaming services, especially if you want access to all channels and features
- Limited availability in some regions, particularly for local and regional sports channels
Next up is a more traditional streaming platform in the form of Disney+.
Disney+ has become the home of everything Disney, from classic children’s movies to the Star Wars universe and more.
If you’re a fan of Disney or you have young children, Disney+ is one of the best options you can find.
Classics like Cinderella and Lion King litter the platform. Plus, the platform has its own originals, like The Mandalorian and the Marvel TV shows.
|Disney+ Plan Features||Basic||Premium|
|Ads||With Ads||No Ads|
|No Ads on Disney+ & Hulu||N/A||Ad-free streaming|
|4K Ultra HD||Yes||Yes|
|Downloads||No||Downloads to watch on-the-go|
Disney Plus is the ultimate destination for all things Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. With a vast library of movies, TV shows, documentaries, and original content, there's something for everyone on this family-friendly streaming service.
- Large library of content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic
- Exclusive access to new original series and movies, including some featuring popular franchises like The Mandalorian and Marvel Cinematic Universe
- No live TV channels or sports programming
- Limited selection of non-Disney content, particularly in the realm of TV shows
Amazon Prime Video
Amazon’s Prime Video is pretty unique among streaming platforms for one main reason: it comes with Amazon Prime.
By now, many of us already pay $14.99 per month for Amazon Prime. Prime Video is part of the benefits that the subscription gets you.
While it may not have as much original content as some competitors, Prime Video's selection of movies and shows is impressive, and its personalized recommendations make it easy to find something to watch.
- Large selection of movies and TV shows, including popular titles from major studios and Amazon's own original content
- Option to rent or buy new releases and older movies that may not be available on other streaming services
- The interface can be cluttered with ads and suggestions for other Amazon products
- Some popular titles are only available for purchase or rent, rather than included with the Prime Video subscription
Hulu is another name that has been around in the streaming game for a long time.
The platform also offers an ad-supported tier for $7.99 per month, or you can pay $14.99 per month for ad-free viewing.
There are also several Hulu originals available, like How I Met Your Father and The Handmaid’s Tale.
But where Hulu really shines is its licensing with hundreds of shows and movies to choose from.
Additionally, Hulu offers another option called Hulu + Live TV. That gets you access to Hulu’s on-demand content plus live streaming of sports, entertainment, and news channels.
That starts at $69.99 per month with ads or $82.99 per month without.
|Hulu Plan Features||Monthly Price||Annual Price||Ads||Live TV||Disney+||ESPN+|
|Hulu (Student)||$1.99||N/A||With Ads||No||No||No|
|Hulu (No Ads)||$14.99||N/A||No Ads||No||No||No|
|Hulu (With Ads) + Live TV, Disney+ (With Ads), and ESPN+ (With Ads)*||$69.99||N/A||With Ads||Yes||With Ads||With Ads|
|Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV, Disney+ (No Ads), and ESPN+ (With Ads)*||$82.99||N/A||No Ads on Hulu||Yes||No Ads||With Ads|
Hulu is a streaming service that offers a mix of current and classic TV shows, movies, and original content. With the option to add live TV channels and sports programming, Hulu is a great choice for cord-cutters who want various entertainment options in one place.
- Large selection of current and classic TV shows from major networks, as well as a variety of movies and original content
- Option to add live TV channels and sports programming for an additional cost
- Ad-supported plan features commercials, which can be repetitive and disruptive to the viewing experience
- No option to add premium channels like HBO or Showtime
One of the better options for original content, Max brings that classic Home Box Office lineup to the streaming world.
With tons of popular movies and shows, Max is a great, on-demand streaming platform.
Plus, with originals like The Last of Us and House of the Dragon, the exclusive content alone on Max is worth the subscription.
Like many other platforms, Max offers an ad-free subscription for $9.99. But if you want ad-free watching, you’ll have to go up to $15.99 per month.
|Yearly With Ads||Limited ads||2||Full HD||–||$9.99/month|
|Ad-Free||No ads||2||Full HD||30||$15.99/month|
|Ultimate Ad-Free||No ads||4||4K Ultra HD||100||$19.99/month|
Max is a streaming service that offers a wide variety of content from HBO, WarnerMedia, and other studios. With a strong selection of original programming, popular movies, and classic TV shows, Max is a top choice for viewers who want high-quality entertainment.
- Extensive library of content from HBO, WarnerMedia, and other studios, including a large selection of movies, TV shows, and original programming
- Access to new releases on the same day as their theatrical debut (for a limited time)
- Relatively high price compared to some other streaming services
- Limited availability on some devices, particularly older smart TVs
Apple TV+ might be a surprise entry on this list, but it’s definitely a deserving one.
The platform doesn’t have a huge content selection, but its philosophy seems to be quality over quantity.
The service hosts several original hit shows like Ted Lasso, Severance, The Afterparty, and more.
Plus, it was the first streaming platform to bring home an Oscar with its original screenplay, CODA.
In terms of the number of shows and movies,
But you still get a handful of great originals, and it’s relatively affordable at just $6.99 per month.
|Apple TV+ Plan Features||Monthly Price||Annual Price||Simultaneous Streams||Family Sharing||Download to watch offline|
|Apple TV+||$6.99||N/A||6||Up to 6 people||Yes|
Apple TV+ features high-quality shows and movies and offers a user-friendly interface that integrates with other Apple devices. With a low subscription price and a seven-day free trial, it's worth checking out for fans of Apple products and exclusive content.
- High-quality original content, with acclaimed shows like "Ted Lasso" and "The Morning Show"
- User-friendly interface that integrates with other Apple devices, making it easy to watch on multiple screens
- Low subscription price compared to some other streaming services
- Relatively small library of content compared to other streaming services, with a focus solely on original programming
- Limited availability on non-Apple devices
The final option on the list is another live TV streaming subscription. YouTube TV is the popular video-sharing site’s interpretation of live TV streaming.
The service lets you watch live TV across several major cable networks, including live sports, breaking news, and hit shows.
Plus, you can watch on-demand content, like YouTube Originals, ad-free if you have a YouTube Premium subscription.
|YouTube TV Plan Features||Monthly Price||Annual Price||Simultaneous Streams||DVR Storage||Pre|
|First 3 Months||$54.99/mo||N/A||3||Unlimited||N/A|
YouTube TV is a live TV streaming service that offers a mix of local and national channels, including sports, news, and entertainment programming. With an easy-to-use interface and unlimited cloud DVR storage, YouTube TV is a great option for cord-cutters.
- Wide selection of live TV channels, including local and national sports, news, and entertainment programming
- Unlimited cloud DVR storage with the ability to fast-forward through commercials
- No option to add premium channels like HBO or Showtime
- Occasional technical issues with the app, including glitches and playback errors
While we’ve highlighted some of the best streaming services on the market, there are plenty of other options worth considering that didn’t quite make the cut.
Whether you’re looking for a more niche service or simply want to try something new, here are some notable mentions worth checking out.
The best streaming service is the one that fits your need
While it would be nice to have an all-encompassing streaming platform where you can see all of the most popular shows and movies under one umbrella, that’s not an option anymore.
There are tons of streaming services, and each of them brings a unique aspect to the table.
Whether it’s hit original shows and movies or great licensing deals with tons of content, each streaming service is unique.
Fortunately, most offer free trials, and you don’t have to sign contracts.
That means you can sign up to try out any service that looks interesting, and you can cancel without spending too much money if it doesn’t have what you’re looking for.
Of course, if you dislike the idea of monthly subscriptions, here are all the best places to watch free movies online.
- Could Netflix be Microsoft’s next acquisition target?
- HBO Max and Discovery Plus will be replaced by a new service
- Disney streaming services now match Netflix subscriber numbers
- TikTok is moving forward with its music streaming plans
Just a heads up, if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the sale. It’s one of the ways we keep the lights on here. Click here for more.