Apple just dropped the price on its HomePod by $50
Still not buying it.
Today, the company announced it’s giving the smart speaker a $50 discount, bringing the price down from $349 to $299. The UK and Canada are getting some price cuts too: $449 to $399 in Canada and £319 to £279 in the UK. How generous of them, right?
To be fair, this isn’t the first time the HomePod has been discounted
Third-party sellers have been offering discounts for a while now. Notably, this is the first time Apple officially discounted it on its store. Apple isn’t really known for offering discounts on products that are still in their life-cycle. Especially something that was launched 14 months ago. So seeing the company drop the price on its lackluster Siri speaker is quite a bit of a culture shock.
It’s pretty obvious Apple is competing in a tough space when it comes to voice-enabled smart speakers. And this recent price cut shows it.
Should you buy a HomePod?
It’s tough to say. It’s a very expensive smart speaker. Most of the early reviewers say you’re probably better off going with an Amazon Echo or Google Home. You’ll spend a lot less on either of those options. But if you’re an Apple die-hard and need to have something plastered with an Apple logo, then it’s pretty obvious you’re going to get one regardless. At least now you can get it $50 cheaper than it previously was.
- Apple is ripping off Samsung with the addition of reverse wireless charging on the next iPhones
- Apple wants you to know they’re really sorry about its crappy keyboards
- Apple plans to release truly wireless Powerbeats Pro headphones from Beats
- Apple’s long-awaited AirPower outed on AirPods 2 packaging
- Yet another judge rules in favor of Qualcomm’s claims of Apple infringing their patent