Apple’s iOS 12 is now available to everyone, here’s what you need to know
Here’s how to download and start using the features today.
Three months after it was first announced, iOS 12 is now available for iPhone and iPad. The update includes performance improvements and lots of new features.
To download and install iOS 12, go under the Settings app on your iOS device. Head to General > Software Update to get started. The update is compatible with the iPhone 5s and later, iPad mini 2 and later, and the sixth generation iPod touch.
Apple’s iOS 12 update is packed with performance improvements, although you’ll also find new and updated features.
System features include the introduction of a new Shortcuts app that allows you to create automated actions that you can ask Siri to perform. There’s also ARKit 2, which gives you the ability to share your view with other iPhones. ARKit 2 also powers the new Measure app.
One of the most significant new iOS 12 features is the introduction of Screen Time. This tool lets you track how much time you use on your iOS devices each day (and how). You can also use it to monitor what your kids are doing too.
Other features included with iOS 12
Other new and updated features include:
- An Apple Books app that replaces iBooks.
- Personalized Emoji called Memoji, plus four new Animoji, including Koala, Tiger, Ghost, and T-Rex.
- A “For You” section in the Photos app.
- Notifications are grouped and now have a “manage” tab.
- The Do Not Disturb During Bedtime feature changes how notifications are handled at night.
- Safari now includes Intelligent Tracking Prevention. With this feature, you can disable social media “like” and “share” buttons.
- Maps app now includes first-party data.
- CarPlay now features the ability to run third-party navigation applications.
- iPad now includes gestures that were first launched with iPhone X.
Also, on devices with Face ID, iOS 12 lets you add two faces for authentication now, instead of only one.
Using iOS 12? What feature is your favorite? Let us know in the comments.
- Overheating doomed Apple’s AirPower wireless charger
- Just because the new Apple Watch has an EKG reader, it doesn’t mean it’s going to save your life
- Apple (and everyone else) can delete your digital purchases at any time