The Atari VCS is up for pre-order (again) with a new exclusive colorway for Walmart
Seriously, we’re doing this again?
The Atari VCS is up for pre-order (again), this time with a new colorway that will be exclusive to Walmart orders. That means even more fans can get their hands on one of the retro-styled gaming consoles.
Pre-orders are going live today from the company website, Walmart, and Gamestop. At the time of this writing, no links were live, but we’ll make sure to update accordingly when listings are made available.
So what is the Atari VCS?
The Atari VCS is a retro-styled gaming console that also doubles as a set-top box. It runs both Atari’s retro catalog of games and also more modern ones (the modern game titles haven’t been announced yet).
Depending on where you pre-order from you can get one of three different designs: Walmart has a new Kevlar Gold style, GameStop has the all-black Onyx, and the Atari VCS website has the classic, Black Walnut faced design.
There’s two hardware spec levels, the $249 Atari VCS 400 which has 4GB of RAM and the $279 Atari VCS 800 which has 8GB of RAM
Those prices don’t include controllers, with the Classic-style joystick adding $49 to the total, or the Modern gamepad adds $59. There’s also an “All In” version of the 800 console that comes with both the joystick and gamepad, but it’ll destroy your wallet at $389.
- The Atari VCS runs Linux, on a Ryzen-based CPU with Vega graphics (possibly an off-the-shelf APU unit)
- The Atari Vault comes with every Atari VCS, offering over 100 retro classics
- The Indiegogo campaign raised over $3 million last year, with those backers getting their VCS consoles later this year
- This latest round of pre-orders is scheduled to be delivered in early 2020
I can’t help but wonder what the point of this pre-order round is. Does Atari think it needs to pre-sell consoles at this point? If so, what does that say about the quality of the finished product? I guess we’ll find out later this year when Indiegogo backers finally get their consoles.
What do you think? Surprised that Atari is opening up pre-orders yet again? Let us know down below in the comments or carry the discussion over to our Twitter or Facebook.
- Ghostwire Tokyo wants you to find out why everyone is disappearing
- Razer is rolling out a new ‘mental performance’ drink for your marathon gaming sessions
- Blair Witch looks to be THE sh*t your pants game of the summer
- Bethesda used its E3 showcase to turn itself into a meme