Mario Kart 8 Deluxe takes gold in Nintendo Switch sales race
Nintendo’s classic characters are still the kings and queens of the console kingdom.
Rev those engines, folks – Nintendo has dropped the latest lap times on their top-selling Switch games, and it’s Mario Kart 8 Deluxe flying past the checkered flag with a staggering 57.01 million units sold.
The recent Super Mario Bros. Movie seems to have sprinkled a little stardust on Mario’s sales, particularly giving Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a nitro boost of 3.22 million units over six months, reports Reuters.
Zelda’s not far behind, with Tears of the Kingdom wielding its Master Sword to carve out nearly a million sales since June. And with the holidays on the horizon, Nintendo’s rolling out the deals faster than a Bullet Bill.
But out of left field, a new challenger approaches with Super Mario Bros. Wonder, racking up 4.3 million in sales and proving that the Italian plumber can still draw a crowd, whether he’s on the track or saving the Mushroom Kingdom.
What does this all mean? Nintendo’s classic characters are still the kings and queens of the console kingdom, with the Switch showing no signs of slowing down.
And with whispers of a new console in the works for 2024, we’re all on the edge of our gaming chairs.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the highest-selling Switch game of all time
The Mario Kart series is a staple when it comes to Nintendo games, and Mario Kart 8 does the series justice. It is packed with new tracks, new playable characters, and more.
- Fast-paced gameplay
- A ton of characters and Karts to choose from
- Fun single player and multiplayer gameplay
Here’s the rundown of the top-selling titles, where the numbers are as eye-popping as a Lightning Bolt power-up:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe speeds into first place with sales now over 57 million, making it more popular than free samples at a cake shop.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons cozies up to second, with a community of over 43 million – that’s a lot of bells!
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate punches its way to over 32 million sales, proving that everyone loves a good brawl.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild takes a breath at over 31 million sales, showing that Hyrule’s hero has plenty of fans.
- Super Mario Odyssey jumps to over 26 million, because who doesn’t love a plumber in space?
- Pokémon Sword/Shield battles to 26 million, while Pokémon Scarlet/Violet isn’t far behind with 23 million, making it clear that catching ’em all never goes out of style.
- Super Mario Party brings the fun with over 19 million joining the festivities.
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom almost makes us tear up with nearly 20 million sales.
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe rounds out the list with over 16 million, proving that classic platforming is still a hit.
There you have it, the titans of the Switch, selling like hotcakes in a world where everyone’s hungry for entertainment.
- Rockstar announces Grand Theft Auto 6 trailer release date
- WhatsApp’s new search feature will let you search messages by date
- Ghost without guilt: Instagram’s forthcoming incognito mode
- 11 great crowdfunding campaigns to check out in November