Here’s how to cancel your HBO subscription now that Game of Thrones is over
Game of Thrones has finally finished (well, the TV series at least, the last books still haven’t been written by master procrastinator George R.R. Martin), so you might be wondering what to do with your expensive HBO account. You could keep paying for it and wait for Westworld’s third season to air in 2020. But honestly, wouldn’t you rather save some cash in the meantime?
Whether you’re feeling burned out after 8 seasons of boobs, butts, dragons and frozen zombie-things, or elated that you can finally remove the list of GoT-related words that you muted on your Twitter feed, saving $15 a month on a now-useless subscription should be at the front of your mind.
What you need to do for canceling your HBO subscription depends on how you signed up in the first place.
If you signed up directly from the HBONOW.com website, that’s where you need to go to cancel your subscription.
- Log in to your account from the Sign In link at the top right of the page
- Then click on Settings which is in the top-right corner again
- The page that opens will show details of your subscription, including the next billing date, the payment method, and the all-important Auto-Renew switch. Turn that to the Off position, confirm Yes, turn it off when it asks for you to reconsider, and go enjoy the extra $15 in your pocket each month
Now, your subscription page should show the expiration date of your account, and the Auto-Renew toggle should show Off.
Subscriptions signed-up for through third-parties
If you signed up for HBO Now through any of the third-party services, such as Amazon’s App Store, Roku or iTunes, you’ll have to go to their storefront to cancel. Thankfully HBO has a list of most providers with instructions on how to cancel, so you can follow their instructions to be HBO-free (at least until Westworld).
How to cancel HBO through Amazon
If you’re one of the many people who subscribe to HBO via your Amazon account, this is where you need to go to cancel:
- Head on over to amazon.com/appstoresubscriptions and sign in to your Amazon account (if needed).
- Find HBO NOW in your list of subscriptions and turn off the auto-renewal option.
Additionally, if HBO is subscribed through your Amazon Prime account, follow the instructions below to cancel your HBO subscription:
- Go to amazon.com/video/subscriptions/manage and sign in to your Amazon account (if you have to).
- Under the Prime Video Channels header, your channels are listed.
- Find HBO in your list of channels and then choose Cancel Channel(s).
If you are on an iPhone or any other iOS device, here’s how to cancel HBO
- Go to Settings > [Your Name] iTunes & App Store.
- Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- Tap View Apple ID and sign in if needed.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Find and tap your HBO NOW subscription.
- Select Cancel Subscription (iOS 10 or later) or turn off Automatic Renewal.
And if you’re subscribed to HBO via Roku, here’s how to cancel it
There’s a couple of options here to cancel HBO from your Roku account. You can do it either the web at my.roku.com or straight from your Roku device. Here’s how:
- Head on over to my.roku.com and sign in to your Roku account.
- Select Manage Your Subscriptions.
- Find your HBO NOW subscription in the list and then choose Unsubscribe.
- Tap the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Use the directional pad on your remote to highlight the HBO NOW channel.
- Press the Star button (*) on your remote to open the Options menu.
- Select Manage Subscription.
- Select Cancel Subscription.
If we missed something on this list, again, HBO has a list of providers with instructions on how to cancel.
$15 a month might not sound like much, but it soon adds up when you’re paying for multiple streaming services at the same time. Now you know how to reduce that monthly bill by one service that you probably don’t need anymore, especially if you only signed up for HBO Now to watch Game of Thrones in the first place.
- How to cancel your paid YouTube and Twitch subscriptions
- Here’s how to cancel your Nintendo Switch Online subscription
- How to cancel your Amazon Prime membership
- Someone recreated the Game of Thrones theme with old computer parts and it is glorious
- The Google Pixel 3a is randomly shutting down for some early adopters