New survey shows Tesla Model Y is the most American-made car
Yes, we were surprised too.
Tesla has a new thing to be proud of – having the most American-made vehicle. Topping online marketplace Cars.com’s list for the second year in a row, the Model Y SUV took the top spot, closely followed by the Model 3 sedan.
That’s good news for EV adoption and bodes well for the future. As a result, most carmakers have pledged to phase out gas-powered cars in the next decade.
The Tesla Model Y is the most American-made car in 2022
In regards to the survey, Cars.com analyzed five primary factors to derive the rankings. These include the location of final assembly, percentage of US and Canadian parts, country of origin for available engines, country of origin for available transmissions, and US manufacturing employees relative to the automaker’s footprint.
- Rank 78: Mercedes-Benz GLS; manufactured in Vance, Alabama
- Ranks 84 through 88: BMW X6, X5, X7, X4, X3; manufactured in Spartanburg, South Carolina
- Rank 4: Honda Passport (as the highest non-US headquartered brand); manufactured in Lincoln, Alabama
The biggest takeaway from this list? Americans like buying American-made cars, trucks, and vans. Consequently, that will always give Tesla an edge, with its headquarters in Austin, Texas, and manufacturing in multiple states.
- Tesla Autopilot crashes have big implications for self-driving cars
- Tesla is raising prices across all of its vehicle models
- Teslas are involved in a majority of advanced driver-assist crashes
- A new Tesla recall could be on the horizon over Autopilot crashes