All three iPhone models in 2020 will feature 5G modems
Your iPhone just got more expensive…
When Apple super-analyst Ming-Chi Kuo first made predictions about the trio of 2020 iPhones, he said only two of them would support 5G. That was before Apple bought Intel’s 5G modem business though, so now he’s changing his prediction to all three 2020 iPhones being 5G.
According to analysts, all three 2020 iPhone models will have 5G modems
While Apple has just purchased Intel’s 5G modem business (for a cool billion dollars!), it’ll be 2021 at the earliest when those will be ready for airtime. That means Apple will be sticking with Qualcomm for the 5G modems that will be going into the 2020 iPhone range.
All three handsets are expected to support both the super-speedy mmWave and the Sub-6Ghz spectrum ranges, so every form of 5G is covered:
- Kuo also thinks that cheap Android handsets ($249-349 range) will only have the sub-6Ghz bands
- 5G should boost Apple’s Augmented Reality ecosystem
- It should also boost Apple’s iPhone sales, as consumers have been primed to see 5G as the “must-have” for 2020
I’m more interested in the camera tech that Apple will be stuffing into the 2020 iPhones, as I feel 5G is still very much in its infancy.
- Apple pays contractors to listen to your Siri recordings
- The Apple Store now sells a diabetes monitor that works work with the iPhone
- Facebook Games, the thing you probably never used, is leaving Facebook Messenger
- Google has confirmed that the Pixel 4 will have touch-free gestures