Reddit is exploring TikTok-style reaction videos
Another day, another platform taking inspiration from TikTok.
Reddit might soon be full of short-form video content, like TikTok-style reaction videos. As reported by TechCrunch, and confirmed by Reddit, the new feature could have TikTok-like editing tools. The videos created could be used as reactions or even as original posts.
From TechCrunch‘s reporting, it seems that Reddit doesn’t want to clone TikTok; as so many other social media sites have done. Instead, it wants to build a tool that enables engagement in discussions that its users care about.
With a video remix tool, it opens the way for non-text replies. That could add nuance to tricky conversations, which is harder to do in text form.
Reddit is currently reaching out to some subreddits, or communities on its site. Those subreddits can decide if they want to trial the new video features. The tests haven’t begun as yet.
Will Redditors find utility in the ability to respond to posts via video? Is everything in social media going to look like TikTok eventually? We’ll see. Redditors might not want to use the tool, in which case it wouldn’t be added.
READ MORE: How to go live on TikTok
- TikTok is rolling out 10-minute videos so you can waste even more time on the app
- Reddit’s new Discover tab should help people find more communities to join
- Twitter finally lets you search DMs for keywords
- Instagram’s chronological feed is back, but you’ll need to set it up
- Reddit opens its NFT marketplace for avatars