Go and update your Chrome browser, like right now
Seriously, right now.
If you’re one of the 64-percent of desktop users running Google Chrome, go update your browsers right now. Google has released a security update for a vulnerability that it says is already being exploited “in the wild.”
You can always go check for the update manually, and that’s what we’ll walk you through below.
How to update Google Chrome on Mac or PC
If you need to update Chrome or just want to check which version you are on, you can do that. Here’s how to update Chrome on PC and Mac:
- Click on the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of your Chrome window
- Navigate to Help then click About Google Chrome
- You’ll see the below page which has all the information you need about your current version of Google Chrome. When this page opens, Chrome also does a check for pending updates, so you’ll see an animation while it checks, and another animation while it updates your browser if it finds an update.
- Google will prompt you to Relaunch your browser if you had an update. It’s important to do so; as your browser isn’t fully updated until it restarts
When Chrome restarts, it will reopen all of your opened tabs and windows, with the exception of any sites you are browsing in Incognito mode.
Apple users on macOS will find the process to update their browser is the same as on PC. Chromebook users can update by following this guide, which is close to the steps outlined above for desktop users.
While Google hasn’t released any details of what the zero-day exploit actually is; it’s severe enough to warrant a mid-cycle security update.
Google doesn’t release details until after a significant percentage of users have updated, so we’ll likely know more in the future. Until then, go update your Google Chrome browser. Seriously.
- The next Google Nest Hub could include a detachable tablet
- Google is removing movies and TV shows from Google Play
- Apple might offer subscriptions for iPhones and more in 2023
- Roku TV has a new software update – here’s what’s new