Tech Hangover: Beware of Coronavirus
We’re all doomed.
We get it, you have a life. There’s no way you can read all of the day’s news in one single shot, let alone visit every web page, which is why we’re here to help. Well, sort of.
There’s a ton of tech news we weren’t able to cover throughout the day (hey, give us a break, we’re a small independent outfit), so to help you stay up to speed with everything we didn’t get to, we rounded up some of the biggest stories, which should help you keep up to date. Hence the tech hangover.
Here’s some tech news you probably missed out on today (and when we say you, we mean us, but also…you).
We’re all going to die.
Google is temporarily shutting down all of its China offices due to the coronavirus outbreak, the company confirmed to The Verge on Wednesday. The shutdown includes all offices in mainland China, as well as Google’s offices in Hong Kong and Taiwan. – The Verge
Honestly, who doesn’t these days?
In November 2019, Russian parliament passed what’s become known as the “law against Apple.” The legislation will require all smartphone devices to preload a host of applications that may provide the Russian government with a glut of information about its citizens, including their location, finances, and private communications. – Fast Company
The Google security team has indefinitely suspended the publishing or updating of any commercial Chrome extensions on the official Chrome Web Store following a spike in the number of paid extensions engaging in fraudulent transactions. – ZDNet
Technically, this headline is incorrect so is the type of thing she’s targeting?
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren on Wednesday released a plan to fight disinformation and to hold tech companies accountable for their actions in light of the 2016 election. –CNBC
And in just case you missed some of our stuff earlier, here’s what you may have missed:
- PSA: Ring’s Android app is secretly sending your data to Facebook, Google, and more
- Here are your free PlayStation Plus games for February 2020
- Amazon is blowing out AirPods for just $129
- Here are your free Xbox Games with Gold for February 2020
- Apparently, Facebook’s “clear history” tool is a big fucking sham
- Snag a 3rd generation Echo Dot for just $25
- Google is working on another messaging app they’ll probably kill off in a couple of years
- These high-quality wireless earbuds are down to just $60 right now (usually $140)
- Amazon has a bunch of PC gaming accessories up for grabs in a huge one-day sale
- Apple reports record first-quarter earnings, making bank off your love for iThings
- File conversions: How to convert a PDF to an online fillable form
- While I shiver with anticipation for Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I am worried about one thing
- DoubleTake is an iPhone app that lets you record from two cameras at once
- Facebook has finally released a tool to let you wipe the data companies are sharing about you
- Amazon has a ton of monitors insanely discounted in a massive one-day sale